An underground worker passed away and others became seriously wounded after mine equipment crushed them.
Authorities are investigating four separate incidents where mobile equipment fatally pinned one coal employee, injuring three other colleagues at undisclosed sites between 26 September 2023 and 16 October 2023.
“One fatality and three serious injuries resulted when miners were pinned between underground mobile equipment and the coal rib,” the Mine Safety and Health Administration said in a safety alert.
“A coal miner died after he was pinned between a shuttle car and coal rib. Another miner was severely injured when pinned between a ram car and coal rib.”
Investigators found machinery should have been operated from a safe location, and made the following recommendations:
- wear reflective clothing
- remove unsafe equipment from service
- avoid pinch points and red zone areas
- communicate presence and intended movements and wait for acknowledgment before moving
- sound audible warnings, distinguishable from surrounding noise, before moving equipment
- hold training in mobile equipment safety, safeguards and safe operating procedures before use
- maintain mobile equipment in safe operating condition when approaching and before traveling through check curtains.