A truck driver passed away after becoming submerged.
Authorities recently investigated how a heavy vehicle operator passed away after entering a pond at an undisclosed mine.
“On September 12, 2023 a haul truck operator died after his haul truck backed through the berm at a dump point and became submerged,” the Mine Safety and Health Administration said in a safety alert.
They made the following recommendations:
- dump material from a safe location and push the material over the edge with a bulldozer
- construct substantial berms or similar impeding devices at dumping locations where there is a hazard of overtravel or overturning
- conduct workplace and ground condition examinations before work begins
- mark dump locations with reflectors, signage or other indicators
- do not travel into or onto berms.