AMSJ » How do I make a complaint regarding mining safety in Queensland?

How do I make a complaint regarding mining safety in Queensland?

queensland mine safety complaints

Time needed: 10 minutes.

In some circumstances mine workers, families of mine workers or members of the community may feel that they need to make a complaint regarding a mining safety issue in Queensland. Of course in the first instance, if you believe that a mine site, mining company or mining supervisor has broken the law or a situation is immediately dangerous, you should raise the issue with your supervisor or the site senior executive of the mining company. Mine workers can either do this in person or through your site safety and health representative.

  1. Determine if the matter has the potential to impact life immediately.

    In the case of mine workers, you should follow your site’s reporting protocol for a high potential incident situation. You should advise others to cease what they are doing, isolate the area (if possible) and call for assistance to review the hazard. For other persons, you should contact the mining company directly by telephone and advise the seriousness of the situation.

  2. If the matter has been reported to the mining company and has not been addressed and presents a threat to the well being or safety of people on or off-site.

    Contact a member of the Queensland Mines Inspectorate by telephone and follow up with an email and any evidence that you might have to support your case. You can request for the matter to be dealt with on a confidential basis.

  3. If the matter is not dealt with by the mines inspectorate to your satisfaction.

    Email the Mine Safety & Health Commissioner or Phone the Mine Safety Commissioner the Office of the Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Energy

  4. If the matter concerns the theft of explosives or an accident involving explosives.

    Contact the Queensland Police and/or Explosives Inspectorate immediately.

  5. If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the mine safety complaint.

    If you have lodged a mine safety complaint with a Queensland government agency and you feel that the matter has not been adequately addressed, you should try, in the first instance to resolve it with the agency. If you cannot resolve it you can lodge a complaint with the Queensland Ombudsman. Your mine safety complaint should include:
    What happened?
    When did it happen?
    Why do you think it is unfair or wrong?
    What was the agency’s response to your complaint?
    Why are you unhappy with this response?
    What should the agency do to fix your complaint?
    Include copies of documents or information you have to support your complaint.

Read more Mining Safety News and Information.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

AMSJ April 2022