AMSJ » Worker collapses, dies in poorly ventilated space

Worker collapses, dies in poorly ventilated space

Gas filled chamber death
Gas filled chamber death

An employee suffered a deadly fall in suffocating conditions.

A 3.8 metre deep chamber had inadequate and untested air circulation when a crew member fatally collapsed.

Authorities recently examined circumstances surrounding the workplace tragedy which occurred on 19 July 2023 at an undisclosed site.

“A worker climbed down a … confined space previously filled with carbon dioxide gas to retrieve an item. However, he collapsed when trying to climb back up,” the Workplace Safety and Health Council said in a safety advisory.

“The collapsed worker was rescued and sent to the hospital where he passed away. The chamber was neither ventilated nor gas-tested before entry. There was no permit issued for entry to the confined space.”

Investigators made the following recommendations:

  • provide personal protective equipment
  • verify and deploy only competently qualified workers
  • conduct periodic gas-tests during confined space works
  • conduct a site walkabout to identify all confined spaces
  • establish and implement safe work procedures for confined-space entry
  • post a notice and/or warning sign at the entrance of each confined space
  • review work processes to ensure every worker safely enters confined spaces
  • restrict access to confined spaces by locking all manhole entrances until work begins.

Click here to read the full safety advisory.

‘Distracted’ heavy vehicle operator fatally pinned
Metal pipe fatally strikes resources employee
Heavy vehicle operator dies from horrific crash
Employer ‘transferred’ safety duties before rock fall killed underground employee.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment