Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection has fulfilled the requirements of the Australian Standard AS 5062:2016 – Fire protection for mobile and transportable equipment for their SV-K fire suppression system. This has been granted with a Certificate of Approval by the Certification Body Global-Mark.
“This is a big step for us to make more impact on the Australian Heavy-Duty Mobile Equipment (HDME) market mainly within the areas of mining, cargo, construction, forestry, waste and agricultural handling equipment in a broader and more comprehensive perspective,” says Holger Pfriem, Business Manager, Asia and Australasia, Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection AB.
READ RELATED CONTENT
- Conveyor roller fire prevention
- Damaged haul truck brake hose results in fire
- Driver dies from burns in haul truck fire
At this stage, the certificate has been issued under the name of Dafo Vehicle Fire Protection’s Australian partner BFI Fire Pty Ltd/Dafo Australia.
“We are excited to intensify our business with Vehicle Fire Protection products in Australia and we are confident that the AS 5062 certification will facilitate the expansion. As a second step we will soon launch a fluorine-free agent” says Managing Director David Thurn of Dafo Australia.
Read more Mining Safety News
Quick Tips for prevention of vehicle fires
- Thoroughly examine all equipment and repair safety defects before placing equipment into service. Follow the original equipment manufacturers maintenance recommendations.
- Check for accumulations of combustible materials, cracked or blistered hoses, and uninsulated wires.
- Be alert to changes in the way the equipment sounds or to a visible plume of exhaust coming from the exhaust system.
- Conduct risk assessments on all equipment to determine safe exit locations for required escape and evacuation plans.
- Establish and keep current an Escape and Evacuation Plan for exiting equipment in the event of a fire. Train employees on the contents of this plan.
- Install well-designed stairs or ladders to the equipment at both ends for an alternate escape.
- Ensure fire suppression systems are properly maintained and protected from damage. Install automatic fire suppression systems and train miners on their use.