The Western Australian Department of Mines, Industry Regulation and Safety has announced performance benchmarks for mine safety inspection and compliance activities across the WA mining industry for July to September 2018.
The results show that the inspectorate:
- Completed 307 visits to mines for inspection;
- 29 visits were unannounced i.e. mines did not know the inspectors were coming;
- 154 Improvement notices were issued;
- 40 Prohibition notices were issued;
- 45 complaints to the Department were received. Complaints from industry and the public regarding alleged unsatisfactory conditions or practices at a mining operation.
The Department’s focus on transparency of information has been identified as ‘best practice’ for Australian Inspectorates with some jurisdictions in Australia concealing mine safety inspection activities until annual reporting is publically issued some 6-12 months beyond year-end.
You can read the Department’s Activity Indicators here.
Read more Mining Safety News